Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vol. 1 Breaking me in

When I first became a nanny I had previous childcare experience but honestly had
no idea what I was getting myself into. I was hired to work for a family in
Northern Virginia who had TWO autistic children and virtually needed round-the
clock help. Both parents worked full time in their professional careers and were
clearly stressed beyond their capacity upon my arrival. Both children were high
maintenance, bursting with energy and completely lacking typical discipline and
communication standards. No wonder these parents were stressed out! The kids
were climbing the walls of their home trying to destroy everything in sight!
There were no picture frames, bookshelves or memorabilia. The house was a barren
space that would soon become my wrestling ring.

The little boy refused to wear his clothes, loved to tear up everything around
him and especially enjoyed pooping and smearing it everywhere. There were even
locks on the top of all the doors to prevent his escape!

The little girl had a different fascination: FOOD. Both kids were on a very
strict diet that prevented them from eating all of the things children love. No
ice cream, twizzlers or Hi-C for this bunch! Instead they maintained a strict
regiment of gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free and organic foods that left the
little girl literally searching for more. Every single time I turned my back she
was digging in the cupboards smothering herself with handfuls of potato chips
and everything else she could get her tiny hands on.

I was officially in shock. I had been hired for a mere 25 hours a week. I
thought this would be some piece of cake job that helped cushion my finances but
boy was I mistaken. I was about to being the ride of my life; a water ride that
could leave me drowning without a life vest.

No comments:

Post a Comment